When you’ve a wholesome prostate, you might hardly discover it is there. The walnut-sized male intercourse organ, positioned just under the bladder, makes fluid that nourishes and transports sperm. However as you age, the prostate can enlarge, impacting your high quality of life.
If you happen to’re experiencing a weak stream or bother beginning your stream, need to push or pressure to urinate, or have problem emptying your bladder, you may need an enlarged prostate, also referred to as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH. Whereas it has nothing to do with prostate most cancers, the situation ought to nonetheless be taken significantly. Left untreated, an enlarged prostate can result in a sudden lack of ability to urinate, urinary tract infections, bladder infections or kidney injury.
Learn on to be taught extra concerning the causes, signs and remedy choices.
Benign prostatic hyperplasia causes
There are various potential causes of BPH, however most specialists agree that age and gender are the first components. A household historical past of BPH additionally will increase your threat for an enlarged prostate.
“BPH not often causes indicators and signs in males youthful than age 40,” says Andrew Christiansen, MD, Nebraska Drugs urologist. “About 50% of males between ages 51 and 60 can have some indicators of BPH, and that proportion will increase progressively with age.”
Benign prostatic hyperplasia signs
Widespread indicators and signs of BPH embody:
- Weak urine stream or a stream that stops and begins
- Issue beginning urination
- Incapability to fully empty your bladder
- Feeling the necessity to push or pressure
- Unintended loss or leakage of urine, also referred to as urinary incontinence
- Dribbling on the finish of urination
- Frequent or pressing have to urinate, particularly at evening
Benign prostatic hyperplasia remedy
If you happen to’re experiencing delicate to average signs of prostate enlargement, it is a good suggestion to carry it up together with your main care supplier. Nevertheless, should you’re experiencing extra extreme signs, it is best to see a urologist to forestall everlasting injury and lack of operate.
There are a number of efficient remedy choices, together with:
- Remedy – Sometimes the primary line of protection to deal with signs, medicines usually require ongoing utilization as a result of they often don’t treatment the problem.
- UroLift® or prostatic urethral elevate – The FDA-cleared, minimally invasive process lifts and holds the enlarged prostate tissue so it now not blocks the urethra.
- Transurethral resection of the prostate – Also called TURP, this surgical procedure includes inserting a scope into the urethra and chopping out items of the obstructing prostate tissue little by little utilizing electrocautery, or heated electrodes.
- Laser vaporization of the prostate – This process makes use of a laser to vaporize the obstructing tissue and open up the urinary channel.
- Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate – Also called HoLEP, this process makes use of a scope and laser to fully core out the enlarged prostate tissue and maximally open up the urinary channel. This process is used for prostates of all sizes.
- Easy prostatectomy – An open or robotic surgical process removes the vast majority of the prostate gland, together with all the enlarged and blocking prostate tissue. That is usually solely utilized for very giant prostates.
As a board-certified urologist, Dr. Christiansen specializes within the remedy and administration of BPH. He was additionally the primary well being care supplier in Nebraska to carry out HoLEP, so he brings a wealth of expertise to assist sufferers navigate surgical and nonsurgical choices.
Causes to contemplate BPH surgical procedure
Surgical procedure should not be seen as a final resort. It may be an incredible choice for males who cannot take medicines, wish to get off medicines, or want extra enchancment in signs.
Advantages of surgical intervention for BPH:
- Drugs should be taken long run to have continued profit. When taken long run, remedy can have vital prices.
- Drugs have dangers and unwanted effects. Some males are usually not in a position to tolerate sure unwanted effects, corresponding to impaired sexual operate.
- Surgical procedure gives higher enchancment of signs in comparison with remedy.
- Early surgical intervention might assist higher protect bladder operate in sufferers with vital signs.
- Surgical procedure could be a nice choice for sufferers with issues associated to an enlarged prostate.
“Each affected person is completely different, and there are a whole lot of remedy choices, so it may be troublesome to resolve which intervention to pursue,” says Dr. Christiansen. “It is essential to contemplate the dimensions and form of your prostate, general well being, in addition to your signs and objectives when it comes to urinary and sexual operate, to find out what’s best for you.”
Experiencing indicators of prostate enlargement?
Name 800.922.0000 to make a urology appointment.